1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 Nc6
Why to play it?
I advocated the Four Knights the first time in January 2017 in post 34 of my blog. Let’s sum up the pros again:
- Above average performance sub 2300
- Active piece play in general
- Underrated, high surprise value
- Even opening advantage possible, as many positions are difficult for the unprepared white player
- A possible entrance into the mysterious world of the Sicilian Opening for the novice
- I present it as a stand-alone weapon, but it is also applicable in conjunction with the Shveshnikov-Variation
- Flexibility regarding position type. Often you can choose between active piece play (initiated by Bb4/Bc5) or a favorable form of the subtle (e6, d6)-structure
What was the impetus for me to start analyzing it?
Actually, I already played the Four Knights in the 80s (see blog post 2), for the same reasons as described above. The only dangerous line, back then as to today, was 6.Ndb5. My solution back in the day was to go for the “cheap Shveshnikov” by playing 6..d6 7.Bf4 e5 8.Bg5 a6 9.Na3 Be6. This was okay for a while, but once my opponents became stronger, it didn’t suffice anymore. This side-line is close to being considered refuted.
In the early 2000s the line 6..Bc5 received some traction. However, it is still considered dubious to date as there is no mainstream coverage available. In 2016 I had some ideas for improvements and managed to repair the two most critical lines. Only after the problem 6.Ndb5 was solved, I started to analyze all other variations.
By which criteria are the lines against each of White’s 6th move reactions chosen?
I gave some insight here, in this post:
However, more thorough explanations can be found in the material itself. At the beginning of each line I explain why I favored one line over the alternatives.
What do you get?
The combination of the following features makes this material quite unique:
- A turn-key solution. Install on your computer, scan the most important lines (multiple times) and play. No major gaps, no additional analyses needed.
- 90 detailed variations. The equivalent of a 400 page book or half a year of work.
- New ideas and novelties in every line.
- Comprehensive verbal comments. Explanations on a conceptual level.
- Intelligent meta-level repertoire. The lines are carefully chosen to maximize your winning chances against weaker opposition.
- Explanations why alternatives were discarded
- General knowledge about basic Sicilian concepts due to my comments in Scheveningen or Taimanov style positions.
- Low distribution rate due to the low traffic status of my one man website. Lines will remain secret weapons for a longer time.
- After sales service. If you think there are mistakes or something is missing, I will give explanations or update the material.
- In case of major updates, every buyer will receive a copy
Please inquire my price list: info(at)matthias-wahls.com